FDA Warns Food Manufacturers Against Misleading Labels
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) cracks down on food manufacturers suspected of including misleading and false statements regarding the health or nutrition benefits of certain food products. The effort consists of warning letters that were sent to 17 different food manufacturing companies. The letters were delivered to the suspected companies Feb. 22, 2010 and made public in March.
The FDA says the food manufacturers involved are all in violation of the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act. The act is designed to ensure manufacturing companies do not include information on product labels that would mislead consumers in any way.
Nutrition Labeling, an FDA Priority
According to the FDA, Commissioner of Food and Drugs, Margaret Hamburg, M.D. considers nutrition labeling to be a priority. She stated in a March 3, 2010 letter that nutritional information is more important today than ever before due to issues of obesity and other diet-related disorders.
The FDA says this is one of the most recent actions taken by the agency to encourage consumers to make healthier food choices.
According to reports, the letters warned against misleading statements regarding the advantages of antioxidants, omega-3 benefits and the trans fat content of the products.
Popular Foods Cited in FDA Warning Letters
The food manufactures included some big name companies and products. The following companies received a letter:
- Dreyers Grand Ice Cream, Inc. (Nestle Drumstick Classic Vanilla Fudge; Dryers Bite Sized Ice Cream Snacks Vanilla Ice Cream with Nestle Crunch Coating)
- Gorton's Inc. (Gorton's Fish Fillets)
- Schwan's Consumer Brands (Mrs. Smith's Coconut Custard Pie)
- Spectrum Organic Products, Inc. (Organic All Vegetable Shortening)
- Beech-Nut (Beechnut Whole Grain Oatmeal with mixed fruit)
- PBM Products (Parent's Choice Little Puffs Made with Whole Grains Peach-Mango Naturally Flavored)
- Nestle (Juicy Juice Brain Development Fruit Juice Beverage (Apple); Juicy Juice All-Natural 100% Juice Orange Tangerine and Juicy Juice All-Natural 100%
- Juice (Grape)
- Nestle Nutrition (Gerber's 2nd Foods Carrot; Gerber Graduates Puffs)
- Redco Foods (Foods Salada Naturally Decaffeinated Green Tea)
- Sunsweet Growers (Antioxidant Blend Dried Fruit Mix)
- Fleminger Inc. (TeaForHealth Green Tea products Dr. Lee's TeaForHealth 710EGCG inabottle Green TeaTea For Health 710EGCG Ready-To-Drink Natural Brewed Green Tea)
- POM Wonderful (POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice)
- Ken's Foods, Inc. (Pompeian Imported Extra Light Olive Oil)
- Pompeian, Inc. (Pompeian Imported Extra Light Olive Oil)
- Diamond Food, Inc. (Diamond of California Shelled Walnuts)
- First Juice, Inc. (Organic Fruit and Veggie Juice Beverage products; Purple carrot products)
- Want Want Foods (Baby Mum-Mum Original Selected Superior Rice Rusks)
- Nature's Path Foods, Inc. (Organic Flax Plus Multibran Cereal)
If you feel that you were mislead by the packaging information on one of the listed products, or another food product, you may wish to speak with an attorney about your damages. To discuss your situation with a qualified attorney, please contact consumer fraud lawyer today.